By Joshua Gray
The Undergraduate Educator Network (UEN) is the Society of Toxicology (SOT) community for those interested and engaged in undergraduate education. Facilitated by the FUTURE (Faculty United for Toxicology Undergraduate Recruitment and Education) Committee, the UEN is open to any SOT member (sign up by adding to your ToXchange subscriptions) and includes a ToXchange community, semi-annual newsletters, and webinars to support undergraduate teaching. The next UEN webinar, “Publishing Teaching Resources for the Toxicology Professor: From Service to Scholarship,” will take place on February 23 from 12:00 noon to 1:00 pm (ET).
Whether creating a brand-new course or adding new materials to an existing course, finding curated learning materials for toxicology can be difficult. SOT, via FUTURE, has endeavored to address this by partnering with two national, multidisciplinary repositories for teaching materials aligned with vision and change. First, participants will discover the Life Sciences Teaching Resource Collection (LifeSciTRC), which serves as a repository for more basic teaching resources, such as syllabi, schedules, presentation slides, lectures, and more. Next, participants will learn how the service of sharing their resources with other educators can rise to scholarship through publication in CourseSource, a digital peer-reviewed journal. The webinar will be moderated by FUTURE member Jamie DeWitt (East Carolina University). Two of the presenters, Wade Powell and Joshua Gray, are also FUTURE members who are coordinating SOT involvement in these two collections. They will be joined by Erin Vinson, Managing Editor of CourseSource.
- Life Sciences Teaching Resource Collection, Wade Powell, PhD, Kenyon University, Gambier, OH
- Using the Undergraduate Toxicology Learning Framework with CourseSource, Joshua Gray, PhD, US Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT
- CourseSource: Evidence-Based Teaching Resources for Undergraduate Biology Education, Erin Vinson, MAT, Managing Editor, CourseSource, University of Maine, Orono, ME
- To encourage the utilization, creation, and submission of teaching materials to SOT-endorsed online repositories
- To learn key differences between the LifeSciTRC and CourseSource online repositories
- To inspire the use of the Undergraduate Toxicology Learning Framework in undergraduate toxicology courses throughout the US
- To spread toxicology to other disciplines through collaboration
Registration for this event is now open. We encourage undergraduate educators to participate in this webinar to learn more about publishing resources and to contribute to the scholarship of toxicology education.