You are here
Search found 3 items
- (-) Remove Participate in discussion filter Participate in discussion
- (-) Remove Non-Life Science Major filter Non-Life Science Major
- (-) Remove Reveals prior knowledge filter Reveals prior knowledge
- (-) Remove Ability to communicate and collaborate with other disciplines filter Ability to communicate and collaborate with other disciplines
- (-) Remove Ability to understand the relationship between science and society filter Ability to understand the relationship between science and society
Using Place-Based Economically Relevant Organisms to Improve Student Understanding of the Roles of Carbon Dioxide,...Learning ObjectivesAt the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Describe the roles of light energy and carbon dioxide in photosynthetic organisms.
- Identify the effect of nutrients on the growth of photosynthetic organisms.
- Describe global cycles in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels and how they relate to photosynthetic organisms.
Building student literacy and metacognition through reading science in the newsLearning ObjectivesFor each specific topic (stem cells and cloning, genetically modified organisms, and the human genome and human genetic diseases), students will be able to:
- describe the underlying biology and explore how scientific reasoning and methods develop this understanding,
- discuss the types of policy decisions that regulate studies related to biology or its application to human or environmental health,
- evaluate scientific information to distinguish reliable information from propaganda,
- explain how scientific controversies can arise when the same scientific questions are approached in different ways,
- explore why some types of biological issues trigger regulatory decisions that can affect both research that would deepen our understanding of the issue and application of the results to policy decisions,
- write about scientists who are researching topics related to our course, and
- read science writing published in popular media sources.