You are here
Search found 4 items
- (-) Remove Create a diagram, drawing, figure, etc. filter Create a diagram, drawing, figure, etc.
- (-) Remove Collaborative Work filter Collaborative Work
- (-) Remove Requires student to do the bulk of the work filter Requires student to do the bulk of the work
- (-) Remove Reviewing prior research filter Reviewing prior research
- (-) Remove Structure and Function filter Structure and Function
The Science Behind the ACTN3 PolymorphismLearning ObjectivesThis article accompanies the lesson "The ACTN3 Polymorphism: Applications in Genetics and Physiology Teaching Laboratories." Learning objectives for the lesson include:
- Test hypotheses related to the role of ACTN3 in skeletal muscle function.
- Explain how polymorphic variants of the ACTN3 gene affect protein structure and function.
- List and explain the differences between fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers.
- List and explain possible roles of the ACTN3 protein in skeletal muscle function.
- Find and analyze relevant scientific publications about the relationship between ACTN3 genotype and muscle function.
- Formulate hypotheses related to the relationship between ACTN3 genotype and skeletal muscle function.
- Design experiments to test hypotheses about the role of ACTN3 in skeletal muscle function.
- Statistically analyze experimental results using relevant software.
- Present experimental results in writing.
Discovery Poster ProjectLearning ObjectivesStudents will be able to:
- identify and learn about a scientific research discovery of interest to them using popular press articles and the primary literature
- find a group on campus doing research that aligns with their interests and communicate with the faculty leader of that group
- create and present a poster that synthesizes their knowledge of the research beyond the discovery