You are here
Search found 4 items
- (-) Remove Assessment of individual student performance filter Assessment of individual student performance
- (-) Remove Other filter Other
- (-) Remove Communicating results filter Communicating results
Using Gamification to Teach Undergraduate Students about Scientific WritingLearning ObjectivesTopics within Playon Words are grouped into “mini-games.” The Learning Objectives for each mini-game are as follows: Sentence Sensei
- Identify the best sentence variant from a list of options
- Identify and eliminate needless words
- Identify where and when to use different types of punctuation marks
- Identify and correct common grammar mistakes
- Organize sentences in a logical order
- Describe the components of different sections of a scientific paper
- Identify the section of a scientific paper where a given sentence belongs
- Eliminate sentences which do not belong in a given writing sample
- Classify statements as scientific or non-scientific
- Identify which statements support a particular hypothesis or position
- Classify provided sentences (e.g. hypotheses vs. predictions, problems vs. experiments, results vs. discussion)
- Compare and contrast different types (e.g. primary literature, review articles, popular literature etc.) and sources (PubMed, Web of Science, Google Scholar etc.) of scientific information
- Identify locations in texts where citations are needed
- Identify citations and/or references that are incorrect or missing key information
- Identify information that does not belong in the reference list (e.g. vendor information)
Casting a Wide Net via Case Studies: Educating across the undergraduate to medical school continuum in the biological...Learning ObjectivesAt the end of this lesson, the student should be able to:
- Consider the potential advantages and disadvantages of widespread use of whole genome sequencing and direct-to-consumer genetic testing.
- Explore the critical need to maintain privacy of individual genetic test results to protect patient interests.
- Dissect the nuances of reporting whole genome sequencing results.
- Recognize the economic ramifications of precision medicine strategies.
- Formulate a deeper understanding of the ethical dimensions of emerging genetic testing technologies.