You are here
Search found 5 items
- (-) Remove Answer essay question(s) filter Answer essay question(s)
- (-) Remove Ability to understand the relationship between science and society filter Ability to understand the relationship between science and society
Antibiotic Resistance Genes Detection in Environmental SamplesLearning ObjectivesAfter completing this laboratory series, students will be able to:
- apply the scientific method in formulating a hypothesis, designing a controlled experiment using appropriate molecular biology techniques, and analyzing experimental results;
- conduct a molecular biology experiment and explain the principles behind methodologies, such as accurate use of micropipettes, PCR (polymerase chain reaction), and gel electrophoresis;
- determine the presence of antibiotic-resistance genes in environmental samples by analyzing PCR products using gel electrophoresis;
- explain mechanisms of microbial antibiotic resistance;
- contribute data to the Antibiotic Resistance Genes Network;
- define and apply key concepts of antibiotic resistance and gene identification via PCR fragment size.
Casting a Wide Net via Case Studies: Educating across the undergraduate to medical school continuum in the biological...Learning ObjectivesAt the end of this lesson, the student should be able to:
- Consider the potential advantages and disadvantages of widespread use of whole genome sequencing and direct-to-consumer genetic testing.
- Explore the critical need to maintain privacy of individual genetic test results to protect patient interests.
- Dissect the nuances of reporting whole genome sequencing results.
- Recognize the economic ramifications of precision medicine strategies.
- Formulate a deeper understanding of the ethical dimensions of emerging genetic testing technologies.
Cutthroat trout in Colorado: A case study connecting evolution and conservationLearning ObjectivesStudents will be able to:
- interpret figures such as maps, phylogenies, STRUCTURE plots, and networks for species delimitation
- identify sources of uncertainty and disagreement in real data sets
- propose research to address or remedy uncertainty
- construct an evidence-based argument for the management of a rare taxon