You are here
Search found 1 item
- (-) Remove Lesson filter Lesson
- (-) Remove Design/present a poster filter Design/present a poster
- (-) Remove Lab filter Lab
- (-) Remove Focuses student on the material to be learned filter Focuses student on the material to be learned
- (-) Remove Reading research papers filter Reading research papers
Using CRISPR-Cas9 to teach the fundamentals of molecular biology and experimental designLearning ObjectivesModule 1
- Generate a testable hypothesis that requires a creative design of reagents based on critical reading of and review of prior research.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using molecular cloning software to analyze, manipulate and verify DNA sequences.
- Predict the downstream effect on the mRNA and protein after successfully inserting a DNA repair template into the genome of a cell/organism.
- Compare and contrast the processes of DNA duplication and PCR.
- Demonstrate the ability to design primers to amplify a nucleotide sequence.
- Analyze and evaluate the results of DNA agarose gel electrophoresis.
- Identify the key features in genomic DNA, specifically those required for CRISPR-Cas9 mediated gene edits.
- Explain how compatible ends of DNA are used to produce recombinant DNA in a ligation reaction.
- Explain the chemical principles behind plasmid DNA purification from bacterial cultures.
- Devise a strategy to screen clones based on antibiotic selection and the mechanism of digestion by DNA endonucleases.
- Predict and evaluate the results of a diagnostic digest.
- Explain the chemical principles behind DNA purification using phenol-chloroform extraction and ethanol precipitation.
- Explain the key differences between DNA duplication and transcription.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform lab work with sterile technique.
- Compare and contrast the results of a non-denaturing vs. denaturing agarose gel.
- Evaluate the results of a denaturing agarose gel.
- Design and implement an experiment that tests the CRISPR-Cas9 principle.
- Predict the outcome of a successful in vitro Cas9 digest.
- Summarize important background information on gene of interest from analysis of primary literature.
- Produce figures and figure legends that clearly indicate results.
- Organize and construct a poster that clearly and professionally displays the important aspects of the lesson.
- Demonstrate understanding of the lesson by presenting a poster to an audience in lay terms, mid-level terms, or at an expert level.
- Demonstrate understanding of procedures by writing a formal materials and methods paper.