You are here
Search found 2 items
- (-) Remove Science Process Skills filter Science Process Skills
- (-) Remove 101+ filter 101+
- (-) Remove Lab filter Lab
- (-) Remove Predicting outcomes filter Predicting outcomes
- (-) Remove Information flow, exchange and storage filter Information flow, exchange and storage
Science Process Skills
A Short Laboratory Module to Help Infuse Metacognition during an Introductory Course-based Research ExperienceLearning Objectives
- Students will be able to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of data.
- Students will be able to employ prior knowledge in formulating a biological research question or hypothesis.
- Students will be able to distinguish a research question from a testable hypothesis.
- Students will recognize that the following are essential elements in experimental design: identifying gaps in prior knowledge, picking an appropriate approach (ex. experimental tools and controls) for testing a hypothesis, and reproducibility and repeatability.
- Students will be able to identify appropriate experimental tools, approaches and controls to use in testing a hypothesis.
- Students will be able to accurately explain why an experimental approach they have selected is a good choice for testing a particular hypothesis.
- Students will be able to discuss whether experimental outcomes support or fail to support a particular hypothesis, and in the case of the latter, discuss possible reasons why.
Using Undergraduate Molecular Biology Labs to Discover Targets of miRNAs in HumansLearning Objectives
- Use biological databases to generate and compare lists of predicted miR targets, and obtain the mRNA sequence of their selected candidate gene
- Use bioinformatics tools to design and optimize primer sets for qPCR