You are here
Search found 3 items
Training future faculty in 30 minutes a week: A modular framework to provide just-in-time professional development to...Learning ObjectivesTAs will be able to:
- design small classroom activities
- design fair quiz and exam questions
- use rubrics to grade assignments fairly and in a timely manner
- offer constructive, actionable feedback on student written work
- compare and contrast context-specific strategies for dealing with student problems
- compare and contrast context-specific time management strategies
- discuss the importance of diversity, evaluate their own implicit biases, and discuss how these could impact their teaching
- compare and contrast different methods of summarizing teaching experience on job application materials
- evaluate their teaching in a reflective manner to develop future teaching goals
Antibiotic Resistance Genes Detection in Environmental SamplesLearning ObjectivesAfter completing this laboratory series, students will be able to:
- apply the scientific method in formulating a hypothesis, designing a controlled experiment using appropriate molecular biology techniques, and analyzing experimental results;
- conduct a molecular biology experiment and explain the principles behind methodologies, such as accurate use of micropipettes, PCR (polymerase chain reaction), and gel electrophoresis;
- determine the presence of antibiotic-resistance genes in environmental samples by analyzing PCR products using gel electrophoresis;
- explain mechanisms of microbial antibiotic resistance;
- contribute data to the Antibiotic Resistance Genes Network;
- define and apply key concepts of antibiotic resistance and gene identification via PCR fragment size.
Discovering Prokaryotic Gene Regulation with Simulations of the trp OperonLearning ObjectivesStudents will be able to:
- Perturb and interpret simulations of the trp operon.
- Define how simulation results relate to cellular events.
- Describe the biological role of the trp operon.
- Describe cellular mechanisms regulating the trp operon.
- Explain mechanistically how changes in the extracellular environment affect the trp operon.
- Define the impact of mutations on trp operon expression and regulation.