Pathways and transformations of energy and matter
Describe how alterations in homeostasis can affect an individual’s dose-response.How do concepts of administration, distribution, metabolism, and elimination(ADME) help characterize the mechanism of action of toxicants?
- Describe the fundamental basis of xenobiotic defense through ADME.
- Explain why LD50is commonly used as a measure of toxicity of a compound.
- Describe the concept of ADME as it relates to toxicant exposure.
- Contrast the major sites of entry for toxicants and how site of entry affects dose and risk.
- Describe features of chemicals and barriers that affect absorption of compounds.
- Contrast the mechanisms of elimination, including excretion, storage, and biotransformation.