Pathways and transformations of energy and matter
How can ADME be quantified using toxicodynamics and toxicokinetics (TDTK)?
- Define toxicokinetics, pharmacokinetics, toxicodynamics, and pharmacodynamics.
- Explain how toxicokinetic studies are used to determine changes in concentration of a chemical and its metabolites over time in blood and other tissues.
- Explain several methods of toxicokinetic analysis.
- Describe how one-, two-, or multi-compartment models are used to approximate toxicokinetics.
- Describe how saturation affects the elimination of a compound.
- Contrast zero-order versus first- order kinetics of elimination.
- Describe how barriers (e.g., blood-brain barrier or placenta) alter toxicokinetics.
- Apply mathematical and computation methods to toxicokinetics.