Information Processing/Signal Transduction
How do plants detect, process, and interpret information from the environment?
- Construct a representation of a molecular receptor for a physical or biological signal that clearly shows how the signal is detected and how information is conveyed from the receptor to the plant cell.
- Compare and contrast a signaling pathway that leads to the activation of a cytosolic enzyme and a pathway leading to changes in gene expression.
- Choose a stimulus that has an immediate response in a plant and a stimulus that results in a response days or weeks later; compare and contrast the information processing in the two examples.
- Diagram how a signal from a plant is perceived and acted upon by another plant.
- Compare and contrast how a plant detects, processes, and interprets information from an herbivore and a pathogen.
- Provide examples of how herbivory alters plant growth.