Why do most bacteria in nature live in biofilm communities?
- Give an example of a beneficial and a detrimental biofilm.
- List the stages of biofilm formation and maturation.
- Compare and contrast cell structure and function in a biofilm with pelagic cells.
- Explain how and why biofilm development may differ in different environments.
- Predict conditions that would favor biofilm formation and where they might be found.
- Identify the stages of biofilm development that are more susceptible to destruction.
- Describe differential gene expression in a biofilm.
- Develop a drug to prevent biofilm formation.
- Explain the role of biofilms in chronic diseases/infections.