Information Flow and Genetics
How is the regulation of gene expression is influenced by external and internal molecular cues and/or signals?
- State the role of a transcriptional repressor (or activator).
- Define the role of each of the following: promoter region, RNA polymerase, activator binding site, repressor binding site/operator, sigma factor.
- Describe how bacteria can regulate gene expression at the level of transcription and translation.
- Explain how gene regulation leads to adaptation.
- Give examples of how an internal chemical signal can control gene expression.
- Give examples of how an external chemical signal can control gene expression.
- Give examples of mechanisms commonly found to regulate the activity of transcription factors, including types of post-translation modification and the binding of small molecule effectors/ligands.