How do bacteria and Archaea exhibit extensive, and often unique, metabolic diversity?
- List two differences between substrate-level phosphorylation and oxidative phosphorylation.
- Describe how aerobic respiration differs from anaerobic respiration.
- State the difference between oxygenic and anoxygenic photophosphorylation.
- Given an energy source and a carbon source, determine the metabolic lifestyle of an organism (e.g., chemoheterotroph, chemolithoautotroph, photoheterotroph, or photoautotroph).
- Given energy demands and available substrates, predict which metabolic pathways a cell could use.
- Given the major components of an electron transport chain, put them in order and explain how it could generate a proton motive force for the cell.
- Design a mechanism that would allow a bacterium to protect its nitrogenase from oxygen.
- Analyze the symbiotic relationship that some N2-fixing bacteria have with plants. Identify what the bacteria contribute and what the plant contributes.
- Describe the process of methanogenesis in terms of electron transport and energy generation.