Impact of Microorganisms
How can humans utilize and harness microbes and their products?
- List four ways you have used a microbial product this week.
- List four microbial products that are used in agriculture (medicine or industry).
- Explain the importance of microbial fermentation products to food/beverage production (e.g., bread, cheese, yogurt, wine, beer, etc.).
- Provide examples of how microbes can be used to solve energy problems.
- Describe how humans utilize and harness microbes and their products for medicinal purposes.
- Conduct research to find the top four microbial processes that gross the most revenue on an annual basis.
- Discuss the benefits of two specific tools of modern biotechnology that are derived from naturally occurring microbes (e.g. cloning vectors, restriction enzymes, Taq polymerase, etc.)