Information Flow and Genetics
How can cell genomes be manipulated to alter cell function?
- List the common features of vectors used for cloning.
- List one example in medicine or in agriculture when bacteria acquired new genes that resulted in an altered cell function.
- Describe the mechanisms by which orthologs and paralogs arise.
- Discuss how horizontal gene exchange contributes to the evolution of a genome and a species.
- Explain how a transposon can be used to create a mutant strain.
- Design a vector for a given situation.
- Discuss two societal benefits achieved through the genetic manipulation of microbes.