Molecular biology of gene function
How is genetic information expressed so it affects an organism's structure and function?
- Describe how expansion or retraction of triplet repeats can alter gene function and create a phenotype.
- Explain how the genetic code relates transcription to translation
- Discuss how various factors might influence the relationship between genotype and phenotype (e.g. incomplete penetrance, variable expressivity, and sex-limited phenotype).
- Explain how abnormalities in gene dosage can affect phenotype.
- A clicker-based case study that untangles student thinking about the processes in the central dogma
- Linking Genotype to Phenotype: The Effect of a Mutation in Gibberellic Acid Production on Plant Germination
- Using Synthetic Biology and pClone Red for Authentic Research on Promoter Function: Genetics (analyzing mutant promoters)
- Using Synthetic Biology and pClone Red for Authentic Research on Promoter Function: Introductory Biology (identifying new promoters)
- You and Your Oral Microflora: Introducing non-biology majors to their “forgotten organ”