Matter and Energy in Ecosystems
How do organisms mediate the movement of matter and energy through ecosystems?
- Explain the mechanisms by which microbial saprobes, parasites, and mutualists influence nutrient cycling.
- Use a model to predict the impact of the loss of a keystone consumer species on the energy flow through an ecosystem.
- Construct an argument that defends the idea that eating lower on a food chain is better for the environment.
- Explain the role of microorganisms in the loss of soil carbon after deforestation or agricultural tillage.
- A Lesson on Matter and Energy at the Organismal Scale: Linking Patterns and Processes Across Diverse Taxa
- Exploring Species Interactions with "Snapshot Serengeti"
- Using Images of Foraging Leaf-Cutter Ants to Teach Linear Regression
- Using Pathway Maps to Link Concepts, Peer Review, Primary Literature Searches and Data Assessment in Large Enrollment Classes: An example from teaching ecosystem ecology