Computation in the life sciences
What is the role of computation in hypothesis-driven discovery processes within the life sciences?
- Describe the role of bioinformatics in the scientific research method.
- Explain the necessity for computation in life sciences research.
- Explain the role of wet-bench techniques in verifying computational results in life science research.
- Compare and contrast computer-based research with wet-lab research.
- Read a scientific article and evaluate how bioinformatics methods were employed by the authors to explore a particular hypothesis.
- Given a scientific question, develop a hypothesis and define computational approaches that could be used to explore the hypothesis.
- Evaluate the social, legal, and ethical implications of computational approaches to understanding biology.