Computation in the life sciences
What computational concepts are important in bioinformatics?
- Define the term algorithm.
- Explain the difference between a heuristic (approximate) algorithm and an exact algorithm.
- Describe the three basic programming structures: sequential, repetition (e.g., while, for) and selection (e.g., if).
- Use variables and data structures (e.g., lists, arrays, scalars, hash functions).
- Describe what a regular expression is.
- Explain the concept of cloud computing.
- Describe the importance of “big data” in bioinformatics.
- Describe the means by which “big data” are managed and stored (e.g. dmptool.org).