Protein - Information in Action [PROTEOMICS]
How can bioinformatics tools be employed to examine protein structure and function?
- Explain the BLASTP, BLASTX, tBLASTn, tBLASTx algorithms for protein sequence information
- Interpret the biological significance of an e-value.
- Describe Hidden Markov Models and how they can be used to assess motifs.
- Query a dataset with a specific protein sequence to learn about potential functions (e.g. Pfam, CDD, SwissProt, UniProt, etc.).
- View and interpret the structure output from Protein Data Bank (e.g. Cn3D, Jmol, etc.).
- Propose potential functions for a give protein structure.
- Explain the outputs from protein-folding algorithms to predict structure from sequence.
- Understand how protein structures are determined (e.g. NMR, crystallography).
- Compare and contrast the output from 2-D gel experiments.
- Analyze the output from mass spectrometry analysis (e.g., use the MASCOT package).