Macromolecular Structure Determines Function and Regulation
What is the role of noncovalent intermolecular interactions?
- Discuss the impact of specificity or affinity changes on biological function and any potential evolutionary impact.
- Discuss the various methods that can be used to determine affinity and stoichiometry for a ligand-macromolecule complex and relate the results to both thermodynamic and kinetic data
- Discuss the interactions between a variety of biological molecules (including proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, carbohydrates and small organics, etc.) and describe how these interactions impact specificity or affinity leading to changes in biological function.
- Predict the effects of either mutation or ligand structural change on the affinity of binding and design appropriate experiments to test their predictions.
- Discuss the relationship between the temperature required for denaturation (Tm) and macromolecular structure.