Macromolecular Structure Determines Function and Regulation
How are structure and function related?
- Use mechanistic reasoning to explain how an enzyme or ribozyme catalyzes a particular reaction.
- Calculate enzymatic rates and compare these rates and relate these rates back to cellular or organismal homeostasis.
- Discuss various methods that can be used to determine affinity and stoichiometry of a ligand-macromolecule complex and relate the results to both thermodynamic and kinetic data.
- Critically assess contributions to specificity in a ligand-macromolecule complex and design experiments to both assess contributions to specificity and test hypotheses about ligand specificity in a complex
- Discuss the basis for various types of enzyme mechanisms.
- Predict the biological and chemical effects of either mutation or ligand structural change on the affinity of binding and design appropriate experiments to test their predictions.