How are steady state processes and homeostasis linked?
- Explain that a system at chemical equilibrium (or just equilibrium) is stable over time, but no energy or work is required to maintain that condition.
- Apply the principles of kinetics to describe flux through biochemical pathways.
- Discuss a metabolic pathway in terms of equilibrium and Le Chatelier’s principle.
- Relate the laws of thermodynamics to homeostasis and explain how the cell or organism maintains homeostasis.
- Model how perturbations to the steady state can result in changes to the homeostatic state.
- Propose how resources stored in the homeostatic state can be utilized in times of need.